Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I wish people would clean off the tops of their vehicles in the winter!



Let me tell you about my afternoon on Monday, Jan 9th. I had just gotten done having lunch with my wife, as it was one of my days off. I then proceeded to go home. I traveled sort of a back way from Waterloo down through Kitchener. I was on Bridge St. in Kitchener when there was a slight curve in the road, and I saw a large truck coming the other way. We both hit the curve at about the same time, and that was when I saw it. A big, oval shaped, slab of ice fly off the back of the tractor trailer. It was heading straight for me, and so I braced for impact.....BOOM! It gave the Saturn a good shake, but it was still driving ok. I pulled over to see if there was any damage, and I saw a hole out of the front driver's side fender, and the headlight was smashed.

Two cars that were behind me had pulled over to see if I was ok, and the one guy was gonna give me his phone number (which I should have taken) but he also said, "you should follow him, he's a big truck, he's probably not too far." So, I hopped back in my car and chased him down. I followed him to where he stopped to make a delivery. On the way I had called the police, and so they showed up soon after I got there.

After it was all said and done, I got the driver's insurance info, and they are paying for it all, so that is good. The officer told me that I couldn't really charge him with anything. I told him that wasn't really why I followed him, it was to get his insurance info. I just didn't want to have to pay for something that I couldn't avoid, and wasn't my fault. BUT, I have to say, I have thought about that a fair bit in the last couple days. I have talked to a good friend who is an officer with the same police force, and another person who works in the insurance business. They both agree with me that there are things I can charge him with. But, I really hope it doesn't go there. All I am asking for (now that his insurance company is paying for the damage) is that his company cover my deductible.

Anyway, I am just glad to still be alive, and able to enjoy for of my new life with my wife. I'm very thankful that the ice didn't hit further up the car and come through the windshield......who knows what would happen then??

2 comments:

Nan said...

That is exactly what I thought when you told me the story Phil. I was glad the ice hadn't hit any higher, that you were safe and that we can make many more wonderful memories togther.....And now I hear you saying "Ahhhh, isn't that special..."

Love ya bro!

philly said...

Thanks Nan, I love you guys!